The East Bronx Family Service Center, our Preventive Services program, is dedicated to strengthening and preserving families, keeping children safe, and preventing the necessity of foster care placement for children. Families that come to the East Bronx Family Service Center face challenges that include substance abuse, domestic violence, inadequate food and housing, unemployment, lack of education, and understanding proper parenting. Our services help families acquire the tools, skills, and supports they need to nurture and raise their children in a safe and secure home. Although families come to us in times of crisis or under stress, they emerge stable, strong, and secure with the help of our supportive services, counseling and advocacy.
Our services and referrals include:
- Individual and group counseling
- Medical, dental, and mental health services
- Help with receiving entitlements such as social security benefits, food stamps and Medicaid
- Access to safe, affordable housing and housing subsidies
- Referrals to food pantries and the acquisition of food stamps
- Assistance with job-training programs, GED classes, and other educational supports
- Parenting skills education
- Anger management classes
- Substance abuse screening, substance abuse counseling and substance abuse treatment for those in need
- Domestic violence counseling and support
All our parents receive additional peer support through our Parent-to-Parent Support Group. Working with each family when they come to us, we assess their needs and tailor our services to each family. Whatever their struggles may be, we provide the tools to strengthen families and help parents to provide children with a nurturing and safe environment.